Thursday, January 5, 2017

Things that I am doing right now to save money

Walmart Discount Card..... If you read my previous post, you know I work at Walmart and I have a discount card that saves me 10%. In the past I was taking that money that I saved with my discount card and putting it in a jug. This year I am doing the same thing, but in a different way. I have a Pay card that has "Piggy Banks" where you can set money aside. I named one of those "Walmart Discounts" and just transfer whatever I save with my discount card into that Piggy Bank. As of today, I have $24.19 in that Piggy Bank, since January 1. Saving Whatever Is Left In My Account On The Day Before Payday.....Whatever is left on my Pay card the day before Pay day, I transfer into another Piggy Bank that I named "Save". I have been doing this since I received my Pay card in October ( I think), as of today I have $30.74 in that Piggy Bank. Save Percentage Of Each Pay.....Starting with my first pay in January, which was $413 and change, I put 1% in another Piggy Bank that I named Christmas. I plan to continue to do that each payday. I also have a Blue Bird card that has a savings option on the account, and I put 1% of my pay in that savings option. But this account is just for saving, not for Christmas. Save What I Saved Using Coupons..... If I use a coupon, I put that money back. My thought here is that if I run low on money for groceries, I have this money that I can use if I need to, otherwise it can build up. I was putting this money in a zip lock bag. I decided to do it differently this year. Since I mainly only buy groceries at Walmart and work at Walmart, I decided to put this money on a Walmart gift card. Put Money Back Each Payday For Groceries.....My 21 year old daughter moved back home last year and pays rent. Until she moved home, we all ( my boyfriend, my oldest son and myself) mainly just took care of ourselves and I did not really go grocery shopping on a regular basis. But now I go grocery shopping every week and my daughter cooks supper for everyone. I keep this money separate and I use that money for groceries but that money only lasts for 2 or 3 weeks. On average, I spend anywhere from $60 to $80 a week on groceries. So starting this month, I am putting 10% of my pay with this money, so at the end of the month there will be money for groceries. Fill A 2-Liter Bottle With Dimes And You Will Have $700..... I saw this on Facebook sometime in October or November of last year and started putting my dimes in a 2-liter bottle. We will see how long it takes to fill it up and if it does actually add up to $700. A Penny A Day......I tried this last year but did not keep up with it, so I am going to try it again this year. The idea is.....On Jan.1, put 1 penny back, Jan 2. put back 2 pennies, Jan 3 put 3 pennies back and so forth. Each day adding a penny more that the day before. So on Dec. 31 you will be adding 365 pennies ( or $3.65). I forget what you are suppose to have a the end of the year, but everything little bit saved helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment